FOUR DAYS!
That's all...4 simple, little work days that actually seem to be flying by thanks to Spring trade shows consuming hours on end. HA-LLE-LLU-JAH!!
Over the past couple days, I've really gotten into researching San Diego. When we were planning this trip, I was more focused on the Vegas portion of it mainly because of all the hype everybody attaches to the lights, clubs, and the fanciness of it in general, but ever since Cincinnati hit that 88 degree mark on Sunday, I WANT A BEACH! I want sand, salt water, THE SEALS I'VE HEARD SO MUCH ABOUT, the surfers I am wishing we run into to...basically I want everything that a place by the ocean has to offer...AND that Ohio does not!
In my research (and advice from other people), my list of things to do includes:
- Dinner & Drinks on an outdoor patio in Pacific Beach
- A trip to La Jolla to see the seals on the beach
- Shop/eat/walk around the Gaslamp District
- Take a picture on a cliff by the ocean with nothing in the background but the sky & ocean (this was the first thing I knew had to be done once we booked this trip)
- TAKE SURF LESSONS**
- Eat at In-N-Out Burger
**This just occurred to me today while I was working. It was a thought that came right out of the blue, but it's got to be the best one I've had in awhile. I mean really, when you go to California as a 24-year-old girl (this being the only time you may see the Pacific) WHY WOULDN'T YOU TAKE SURF LESSONS?!
Whenever I think of surfing, I think of the movie Blue Crush & The Beach Boys. I went through a good month-long streak of watching Blue Crush every night, but that really is no surprise due to the fact that i'm currently on a solid 3 month-long run of watching The Hangover. I really only watch about 20 minutes of it a night until I fall asleep, but still...to most it would get old. The Beach Boys on the other hand...THEY ARE SURF. I took a course in college called "The History of Rock & Roll," and even though it was an elective and pertained nothing to my major, it was without a doubt the greatest class I took throughout my 5 years there.
I grew up in a very music-loving house. We listened to "Breakfast with The Beatles" every Sunday from 9-12, the first song I sang was "Free Fallin" by Tom Petty, my sister and I did a duet to start out her 'singing' career through a Little Tykes mic set to Don McLean's "American Pie," as a 4-year-old I would cry while listening to "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton, and I've listened to my parent's countless stories (meaning hundreds and hundreds) about "the best concert ever was..." One band they never got me into though were The Beach Boys, but I became quickly obsessed with them during that week of the course that was dedicated solely to them. Not only is their music so fun and laid back, but the story behind the band is so intriguing and quickly became a VERY popular search on my Google Chrome homepage.
Now to wrap up this very long, nowhere near the direction I wanted it to go, post into a few lines...California & Vegas better be ready, and if I do end up getting up on a surf board at any point during my 3 day tour of San Diego's beaches, you better believe I will be singing "Surfin' USA."
Thank you Uncle Jesse for making one of the best shows even better.
And for getting Becky back by singing "Forever" outside of her window. You definitely had me at hello, also.